Sunday 15 November 2009

Black Powder

Unfortunately real life is taking its toll at present and I've not managed to pick up a paint brush for weeks, a situation I aim to rectify in the next day or so. In the meantime I've been pondering Warlord Games' Black Powder and whether to buy it.

I've got a pile of Perry's plastic ACW (unpainted at present) and various C19th uncompleted projects and was wondering whether this might provide some stimulus to get on with them (unlike the Lardies' They Couldn't Hit An Elephant!). Having read various comments about them I like the idea they are inspired by Warmaster but am wary how they would handle smaller battles on a 6' x 6' table.

I'm keen to give the ACW a go as Saul is quite interested in it and I don't need much more than we have already bought (just some cannon) unless we really get 'into it' and 'need' to buy some Iron Brigade, Zouaves etc.

1 comment:

  1. I've got a pretty extensive review of Black Powder up on my blog if you're interested:
    http://adventuresinminiaturegaming.blogspot.com/2009/11/warlord-gamess-black-powder-rules.html

    The book is definitely good inspiration in general, though there aren't all that many photos of Civil War stuff. But there is a specific American Civil war scenario and battle report in there.

    The rules should handle battles on a smaller table fine. You might want to make the units smaller, like 16 or maybe 20 figures. But altering the movement and range distances is very easy, since they are in fixed 6" increments.

    ReplyDelete