Saturday 19 December 2009

Death In The Snow - The Undead


As promised here are some photos of the Deadloque undead. They were part of a large undead contingent used in a participation game at Salute many moons ago. The game was a rolling one with players taking a section of elves and trying to get across the length of the table with the undead units being randomly generated. A lot of fun was had by all though the appearance of the undead lancers always caused panic amongst the elven players!

The skeletons were an old wash/dip technique with sepia brown oil washed thickly over pale sand or ivory enamel. The effect was pretty good although the oils did take a good 24 hours to dry.



The zombie infantry (above) were pretty straight forward but like the elven infantry shown yesterday some of my favourite Deadloque scults by Mike Owen. The Vampire officer is ok, but was too short a model compared to the zombies and in my opinion lacks presence... I was less taken with the "Fleschless Legion", undead dwarves (below) though they painted up nice and added a splash of colour.

The undead peasants were nice models, a little smaller than most of the Flintloque range as I think they used standard 28mm skeletons from the AA fantasy range as the basis for the models. Whilst I really hated the concept of undead peasants in Deadloque (and the short story produced by AA that had them harvesting wheat in the summer - why? It was a Empire of undead ruled by Vampires! Who ate the bread?!!), the models were fun to paint.


Finally the game at Salute needed lots of wolves and I added to the AA models with a variety from various manufacturers to beef out the two packs I needed.

2 comments:

  1. Mate, I love them.

    The Lancers are awesome, the freehand on the pouches is great!
    I see what you mean about the Vampyre model. It does lack presence. I think the ones in the Undead Character Officer pack (came out when SLOO came out I think) are a lot more imposing.
    The Fleschless Legion are great too.

    As for peasants, I consider that they were once peasants, though not anymore. I agree, who are they farming for? I don't take all the background in, as you say, it is your game and feel free to do as you want with it.
    The wolves are very nice too.

    I look forward to seeing what other stuff you have up your sleeve!
    Cheers!
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve,

    I came across these earier today and as this is the first time I've seen them, thought I would congratulate you on the great painting and basing.

    Very well done.

    Tony
    http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete