Friday 23 July 2010

And With Strange Aeons Even Death May Die!!

Pleasant surprise arriving home from a day of mind-numbing meetings at work was a copy of Strange Aeons from Uncle Mike's Worldwide. They'd obviously taken the long route from Canada as Uncle Mike posted them on the 4th June...

I hadn't heard of the game (or company) until I read about it on Zac Belado's blog but it soon became clear that Strange Aeons was the set of rules I'd always fancied writing for years but never got round to... Essentially it is a miniatures skirmish version of the classic Call of Cthulhu RPG with characters either dying at the hands monstrous beasties or being driven insane by nightmarish creatures. I decided to avail myself of the "Seduction of Innocence" special offer, a set of the rules, first expansion and a half price set of figures (I went for the Fishmen as Shadow Over Innsmouth is my favourite Lovecraft tale).

I've only managed to give the rules a quick flick through but they read well and I like the idea of some small quick games on a small table. The Fishmen are really nice, even if they are resin and the expansion, whilst a bit thin, is worth getting as it contains lots of useful stuff. I now need to rummage through various boxes to find my old Grenadier Cthulhu miniatures but might knock off a small order to the likes of em-4.

Overall, this looks a lot of fun and whilst it's taken a while getting to Blighty, I'm very pleased and now off to gibber to myself in some dark corner... Ia ia, Cthulhu fhtagn!!! Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn!!! Ia!!!

2 comments:

  1. Strange Aeons is about to make it into the regular rotation here with my gaming group. It's got a nice linked campaign mechanic that's easy to implement to boot.

    Another great place to look for minis is at Pulp Figures, http://www.pulpfigures.com/main.php especially for cultists and Threshold Agents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look very, very good.

    I've even been tempted by the tshirt...

    ReplyDelete